Friday, January 25, 2008

Good Ol' Grits

Unlike most people I have ever met (me being a northern girl my whole life) I love grits.

I always liked grits well enough, but I first learned to really love grits when I moved to New York and discovered all of the "southern style" brunch joints. My two favorites which are Bubbies, and Kitchenette. Both of which serve the most desirable large side of grits, smooth and creamy topped with a pile of sharp cheddar cheese.--Yum.

After discovering this love of grits I did not previously know I possessed, I started splashing out a bit and seeing what else I could do with grits. Baked grits, grits with fried veggies, sweet grits, savory grits, hot grits, cold grits...the list goes on.

When I went home for this last Christmas, in order to make sure I had time to see all my friends, I planned a large brunch at one of my favorite brunch joint 5spot. 5spot is a great, slightly kitchy, quasi-themed restaurant. Every couple months or so they change their theme and, this is where the food gets amazing, each theme is based on a different locailty or geographical region. Over Christmas it was New Orleans. *nods approvingly* And it was here, at Christmas, that I discovered Grit Cakes. Crispy and Crunch on the outside, soft gooey and cheesy on the inside. Put syrup, jam, applesauce or fresh fruit on top and you have pure bliss.

I went home after that Christmas and decided I was going to make me some grit cakes. I looked at Emeril's recipe. Tried it--not bad--but not great, and now I have improved upon. Here it is.

The Best Breakfast Side--Ever.

Grit Cakes

Ingredients needed:

4 cups water
2 teaspoons butter
Salt and pepper
1 cup grits
1 cup grated Sharp White Cheddar cheese
Flour, for dredging
vegetable oil


Oil a large rectangular cake pan.
In a saucepan bring water and butter, seasoned with salt and pepper, to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium and whisk in grits. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Pour grits into cake pan, spreading them evenly, keeping them about an inch thick all the way round.
Cool and cut into cakes with a 2 1/2- to 3-inch biscuit cutter.

Now you can cook these cakes 2 different ways:
  1. In a large preferably iron skillet, heat enough oil to coat bottom of pan over medium-high heat. Dredge both sides of cakes in flour and pan-fry about 2 minutes on each side, until golden. Drain on paper towels and keep warm before serving.
  2. Deep fry 'em. Keep them in the fryer for about 1 minute or until golden. Drain on paper towels and keep warm before serving.
Enoy with eggs, fruit, fake sausage...just enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl
contact me at ashishbaldua5@gmail.com to know more.

thx-Ashish

Unknown said...

Hi,
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl
contact me at ashishbaldua5@gmail.com to know more.

thx-Ashish