Thursday, January 24, 2008

Glorious Mushrooms

So last night, for the first time in ages, I came home before 11pm, as a matter of fact, I came home at 6:30pm. And my first thought was--I can make dinner! My second thought was--I haven't gone grocery shopping in weeks, and I really really don't want to leave the house. So I scoured the fridge and what I had where a few small button mushrooms that were still good, skim milk, parmesan cheese and rice. So I pulled out all these ingredients and went to work.


First I put the rice on to cook, with a tablespoon of butter, and left it to it's own devices. Then I turned to the rest.


I started with 2 Tbsps butter and 2 Tbsp minced garlic in a pan, letting is sit on the burner (on low) for about 5-7 minutes, poking and prodding at it every once in a while to make sure that all sides of the garlic were getting browned. Then I sprinkled 1 Tbsp of flour in the with the garlic and butter and added 1 1/2 cups skim milk. Then I sliced up the 5 mushrooms and put them in the still liquid sauce. Keep over medium-low heat stirring occasionally as the sauce thickens. Then as the sauce starts to thicken I added 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese 2 pinches of whole rosemary, salt and pepper to taste, and just as the sauce was getting thick enough to serve I tossed in a spoonful of capers (that I stole from my lovely roommate) to top it all off.

Pour it over the steaming rice--and voila--you have a pretty tasty meal from practically nothing!

No comments: